Raytheon Australia has confirmed that it does not intend to bid to meet the Combat Reconnaissance Vehicle requirement under LAND 400 Phase 2.
The company was considering working with Nexter to put forward a proposal based on the VBCI, but Raytheon Australia told Australian Defence Business Review that it is pulling out of the Mounted Combat Reconnaissance Capability competition.
“Raytheon and Nexter have recently sought to build on their international partnership to submit a solution for the LAND 400 Phase 2 Combat Reconnaissance Vehicle competition,” a spokesperson said in a statement.
“Based on the combat-proven VBCI, coupled with the next-generation capability embodied in the T40 turret, the Raytheon/Nexter solution delivers world-leading capability in firepower, force protection, survivability and mobility.
“However, after careful consideration of the LAND 400 Phase 2 Request for Tender requirements for the provision of a military-off-the-shelf-plus solution for the Risk Mitigation Activities, the companies believe they cannot conscionably offer the MOTS Plus VBCI-based solution that the Australian Army needs and deserves, both for its mission today and into the future.”
So far only three LAND 400 bidders have declared their hands, namely BAE Systems and Patria, General Dynamics Land Systems and Thales Australia, and Rheinmetall Defence. Boeing has also confirmed that it does not intend to take part. The tender response period ends on August 6.